Sweet and Savory Pecans
Sweet and savory pecans have been a staple item in my pantry for years. Everyone always loves these sweet and savory pecans, including my nut of a husband. He’s a nutty kind of guy. He loves all kind of nuts, especially pecans. They are a big hit at parties, and make a great hostess or holiday gift.
My original recipe called for 1/2 cup of sugar for 3 cups of pecans. Really good, but now I need to find a substitute to keep that glycemic index lower. I’ve tried a few different combinations and found this to not only taste the best, but this delightful sweetness also offers integrity to my nutritional standards. So, let me introduce you to date sugar….
Date Sugar Facts:
1. 1/3 fewer calories than sugar. Lowest natural sweetener on the glycemic index.
2. High in potassium, it actually has more per serving than a banana.
3. It is also loaded with calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, and selenium.
4. It is high in fiber, which helps move things along.
5. Compared to refined white sugar; well there is no comparison. Refined sugar can’t offer any of these benefits. Refined sugar, simply put offers nothing but empty calories. Zero benefit. So date more, I say!
Note: Date sugar might not dissolve as well as other sugars. So if you are looking for a “smooth” texture, I don’t recommend it. Use Agave instead. For this nut recipe it is perfect!
3. Add pecans and fold in egg white.
Store in air tight container container or tin.
Delicious cocktail snack. This recipe is also good with other type of nuts, especially almonds. Chop and sprinkle over sweet potatoes or squash. Sprinkle on salads, top off a chocolate sundae or bake in brownies for a spicy touch.